Do you know?
A dog may be considered man’s best friend, but unfortunately. dog bites do happen. According to the insurance information institute, dog bites accounted for $686 million in homeowners insurance liability claims paid in 2017 in the United States.
TIPS to prevent DOG BITES
- Never pet dogs without allowing them to smell you first.
- Do not approach a dog that you don’t know.
- Do not turn your back to a dog and start to run away if you feel threatened, because their natural instinct is to chase and catch you.
- Avoiding disturbing a sleeping or eating dog, as it may bite out of fear.
- Always leave dogs alone if they are playing with toys or caring for their young.
TIPS for your OWN DOG
- Introduce your dog to various situations and people so that it will not be nervous in new social circumstances.
- Teach your dog to act properly at all times. When the dog exhibits signs of aggression, even in a playful manner, put a stop to it.
- Do not bring your dog into social situations if you are unsure.
- Spay or neuter your dog to reduce its desire to roam and become aggressive with other dogs.
- If you have a fenced yard, make sure the gate and fence are secure.
- Keep your dog healthy. Has your dog vaccinated against rabies and preventable infectious diseases? Parasite control and veterinary care are also important because of how your dog feels affects how it behaves.
If ever in this situation where you feel threatened by a dog, do not run away.
Instead, do not look the dog in the eyes and remain motionless with your hands at your sides. When the dog loses interest in what you are doing, slowly back away.
If the dog tries to bite you, place an object between yourself and the dog, such as a jacket or purse. If the dog forces you to the ground, curl up into a ball and cover your ears with your hands until someone comes to assist you.
If you are wanting more information, or to get a quote, please call our office at 817-277-6166. We have offices in Mansfield and Midlothian, but we serve the entire DFW area. We are a local independent insurance agency with over 70 years of combined experience. In addition to pet insurance, we also offer Home, Auto, Commercial, RV, Boat, and Wedding Insurance to name a few!